Waterproof outdoor blinds are a significant investment for Australians. We are bound to consistently use the outdoor space to host dinner or BBQ parties, but the unforgiving sun rays in the summer or freezing temperatures in the winter make the area unusable for us.
If you have decided to get the coverings for the external space, then it’s time you learn how to protect the investment! Here, we have explained all the tips and tricks.
Cleaning Waterproof Outdoor Blinds
Since the shades are directly exposed to inclement weather conditions, they can get very dirty. Hence, requiring you to make proper scheduling for cleaning and maintenance.
If you don’t know how to do it, don’t worry, you are not alone in it! We have shortlisted some methods with the help of professionals like Outdoor Blind Southwest. Keep on reading to know them.
Method 1 (Without Taking the Blinds Down)
· Extend the blinds completely so each section is easily accessible. Some people make the mistake of just cleaning the exposed parts, leaving the rest unattended. However, do not get tempted by it. Doing so will make your outdoor shutter blinds get discolouration over time.
· After this, vacuum clean the shades to remove all the dust and dirt on them. We recommend this because it makes the wiping process easier and quicker.
· To start the next step, make a detergent blend or a mild cleaning agent with lukewarm water. Mix it thoroughly until there are no lumps left. (Avoid products with bleach, they can damage the blinds)
· Now, with the help of the dishtowel, sponge, and mixture, start wiping. Start from the top of the blind, and work your way to the bottom.
· Once you are done wiping, let the coverings dry entirely before you extract them. Or else, it will be smelly and mouldy.
Method 2 (Washing Them in A Tub)
·Detach the blinds from the mounting brackets, and place them on the floor.
· Now, fully extend them so that you can access all parts.
· Vacuum clean all the dust and dirt. Then, make a mixture of mild detergent and lukewarm water in a tub.
· Let the outdoor patio blinds soak in it for few hours. After this, gently scrub them with a brush until all the stains are washed off.
· Take out the soapy water from the tub, fill it with clean water, then rinse the blinds. Make sure there is no soap left. Otherwise, it can cause more dirt.
· Spread the shades on the clothesline until it is scorched. You can hang them back to the brackets once thoroughly dried.
· The waterproof outdoor shades cover the windows and create a comfortable spot on the patio. Keeping them cleaned will increase their longevity besides making the house look exquisite.
Maintenance Tips for Outdoor Patio Blinds
You’ll be pleased to know that maintaining the blinds is a relatively simple task and contains only a few steps. So, if you want to learn it, keep on reading!
Regularly brush them mildly
We’d recommend making it a weekly habit to brush the blinds from the front and back slightly. This way, the mild stains caused by dust are easily removed. It’s important not to do vigorous brushing as it can damage the material.
Do not use harsh chemicals
Utilizing the harsh chemicals weakens the fabric strength and also tarnishes its colour. Make sure the detergent you use is chemical-free and gentle.
Dodge high-pressure cleaning
The high-pressure washers tend to damage the waterproof outdoor blinds material. It can also cause them to wear out quicker.
Avoid stains and discolouration
The outdoor blinds are exposed directly to harsh weather; therefore, they constantly get stubborn stains and dirt on them. The best practice is to clean the pigments immediately.
Let the blinds dry completely
Ensure the coverings are completely dry before you roll them up. Not doing so can increase mould growth.
Follow these few simple steps to ensure the waterproof outdoor blinds will support you in harsh weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: How to clean mould off outdoor blinds?
Follow these steps to clean off the mould from outdoor patio blinds:
· Make a mixture of 1 cup bleach and ¼ cup of mild soap with a gallon of water.
· Soak the fabric in it for 15 minutes.
· Clean using a soft brush, and rinse thoroughly till all the soap is removed.
· Air-dry the shades. Repeat, if necessary.
2: How do you clean plastic patio blinds?
Blend a weak concentration of regular household detergent with lukewarm water with a ratio of 1:20. Avoid using detergents with solvents in them. Take a soft cloth or sponge and wash. Lastly, rinse carefully with cold water.
3: How do you get stains out of plastic blinds?
The best way to deal with the stains is spot treatment with household strength hydrogen peroxide. Dip the cloth in it and dab on the stain. Repeat it for every spot.